A LASIK candidate should:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a stable vision prescription for at least one year
- Have otherwise healthy eyes
- Have no evidence of collagen vascular or autoimmune disease
- Not be pregnant or nursing
- Have no recent history of eye infection (including ocular herpes)
- Have sufficient corneal thickness
If you meet all the characteristics for LASIK except the last one, you may still be eligible for laser vision correction using PRK, which can be performed on people with thinner corneas and gives comparable results.
Of course, the only way to know for sure whether you are a candidate for LASIK is to talk to a LASIK surgeon about the procedure. To schedule an appointment at either of our Kansas City locations, please contact Silverstein Eye Centers today.