LASIK is used to correct three vision problems:
- Myopia (nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (farsightedness)
To be a viable candidate for LASIK, you must also:
- Be over the age of 18 to ensure your eyes and vision have matured
- Have no eye infection or injury
- Be free of corneal scarring
- Have no changes to your corrective eyewear prescription within the year prior to LASIK surgery
- Not be pregnant or nursing
- Be free of certain eye conditions such as cataracts
- Have no autoimmune diseases that could affect your ability to heal
- Have healthy corneas and average pupil size
- Have appropriate thickness of the cornea
There are additional factors that can affect your candidacy for LASIK, such as certain medications and whether you have diabetes. A consultation and comprehensive exam with an experienced Kansas City ophthalmologist at Silverstein Eye Centers will determine if LASIK is the best treatment option for you.
If you would like more information about LASIK or to learn if you may be a candidate for LASIK surgery, please contact the Kansas City, Missouri, ophthalmologists at Silverstein Eye Centers to schedule a consultation.